I know my husband and I are going to teach our son(s) a lot of things. We're going to teach him to tie his shoes, drive a car and how to read and write his name.
But there are some other, maybe even bigger things that will hopefully make his life easier.
5. Your daddy and I love each other. And we always will. One of the most important things I can show you is how to love another person. I can show you how I respect your father and how he respects me. We will speak to each other in kindness. True kindness that comes from loving and know each other. We are not perfect. Sometimes we will disagree. But we are in this together. You are our greatest work and our love for you stems from love for each other.
4. Know that home is a safe place. No matter where we go. No matter where we live, if we are there together it is our home and home is a safe place for you to be yourself. It's okay if you're different. It's okay if your quiet. It's okay if you feel in the mood to play ball or do a little interpretative dance in the kitchen. This is your home and it is safe and you are loved here.
3. Be kind to people. All people. People will behave in a manner that you don't understand. They will do things you don't agree with. Their actions will baffle and confuse and at times infuriate you. People will look different, sound different, believe something different, live a different way. BE KIND TO THEM ALWAYS. Kindness is never wasted.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8
2. Read lots of books and have lots of thoughts on many different topics and don't feel ashamed if those thoughts differ from other. Even mine. You are your own person with your own mind and your own complexities. It is okay for us not to agree all the time (as long as you follow the rules at my house). We are two different people and as you grow up I will respect your opinions.
1. You are special simply because God created you with a purpose in His mind, in His image. You are not here by accident. Our preacher said something recently that really struck me, perhaps so many people have issues with self-worth because they do not believe they were created by a Heavenly Father who loves them.
And nothing. I mean NOTHING can seperate us from that love.
"No power in the sky above or in the earth below--indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:39
Today I am linked to The Baby Shower.